Re: silly question

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:31:31PM -0800, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> >Michael Z Daryabeygi wrote:
> >
> >>Why is it that so many americans have looked at it and said, "Deebian"?
> >

> >Because they are obeying the default rules for pronunciation of english
> >words.
> >

> And what "default" rule is that?  There is no silent "e" on the end of
> the word. There is no double "e" in Debian. There is also no other vowel
> directly following the "e" so I see no way that anyone should pronounce
> it with a long "e".  I've just listed the 3 spellings that indicate a
> long "e" and none of them apply to "Debian".

There are analogous words with a long e: Ephebian, Armenian,
Slovenian. Indeed, "Debian" looks like it refers to an inhabitant of,
or something originating from, Debia (with a long e) (and I have known
"Deebian Gnu Linux" to be taken for some Tolkienesque language).

These more familiar, similar words make it natural to assume that a
long e is correct.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons