Re: silly question

John Hasler wrote:
And what "default" rule is that?

That a vowel followed by a single consonant followed by a vowel is "long".
Examples:

        de fault
        rule
        si lent
        di rectly
        pro nounce
        conso nant
        wrote
        line
        u ser
        date
        re sent
        o beying
        re quest

There are, of course, numerous exceptions.  Debian is one of them.

LOL.

I can't believe this. I made an offhand comment on this and it's turned into a major thread.

The problem with all your examples here that don't have a silent e on the end of the word are that the vowel is at the end of the syllable. Notice how I broke the syllables in your list above. This isn't true of Debian because of where the word originated: Deb + Ian.

end ing
ten sion
len ten
tem per
Deb ian :D
ten der
hel i cop ter
len der

Notice all these words have a short e followed by a single consonant that is at the of the syllable. These are both a pretty good phonetic rules to follow. They won't steer you wrong very often.