Re: Help with Raw CD images? (input/output error)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:04:30 -0600
Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:30:07 +0100, Robert Storey wrote:
> >
> > While we're on this topic, would anyone happen to know how to burn
> > (and retrieve) a raw data CD (that is to say, one which does not use
> > the iso9660 filesystem)?
> >
> > I would guess that in Linux it would be necessary to use cdrecord
> > rather than burncd, but I can't figure out the syntax.
>
> Yes, you can use cdrecord for this. As long as I'm throwing scripts
> around, here's another one that will build the appropriate options and
> call cdrecord:
>
>   http://reidster.net/software/burn
>
> You can then retrieve the file by giving the device. E.g., in your
> case:
>
>   $ tar xzvf /dev/cdrom
>
> Or, to really annoy your friend who's logged in on another terminal:
>
>   $ cat /dev/cdrom | write friend
>
> :)
>
> On my system, /dev/cdrom is a symlink that points to /dev/scd0. I
> believe there is a HOWTO somewhere with more details on how to figure
> out which device is your CD-ROM.
>
> HTH and good luck,
>
> Reid

Dear Reid,

Thanks for the script, it worked fine. I had to make a slight
modification because my burner device is different from yours. I'm
running the 2.6 kernel, no scsi emulation, and the computer has both a
CDROM and CDR drive. So I changed this line:

   device=1,0,0

to this:

   device=/dev/cdrom1

and that did it. Again, can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

best regards,
Robert