Re: Help with Raw CD images? (input/output error)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 04:30:07 +0100, Robert Storey wrote:

> While we're on this topic, would anyone happen to know how to burn (and
> retrieve) a raw data CD (that is to say, one which does not use the
> iso9660 filesystem)?
>
> I would guess that in Linux it would be necessary to use cdrecord rather
> than burncd, but I can't figure out the syntax.

Yes, you can use cdrecord for this. As long as I'm throwing scripts
around, here's another one that will build the appropriate options and
call cdrecord:

  http://reidster.net/software/burn

You can then retrieve the file by giving the device. E.g., in your case:

  $ tar xzvf /dev/cdrom

Or, to really annoy your friend who's logged in on another terminal:

  $ cat /dev/cdrom | write friend

:)

On my system, /dev/cdrom is a symlink that points to /dev/scd0. I believe
there is a HOWTO somewhere with more details on how to figure out which
device is your CD-ROM.

HTH and good luck,

Reid