Re: Shadow and NIS

On Tuesday 01 March 2005 03:07 pm, Justin Guerin wrote:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 09:50, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > /usr/sbin/rpc.yppasswdd -D /etc -e chsh
> >
> > But in a howto (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/ypserv.html), it says
> > to start rpc.yppasswdd with:
> >
> > rpc.yppasswdd -s /etc/yp/shadow -p /etc/yp/passwd -e chsh
> >
> > So here's my main concern: If I change the line in /etc/init.d/nis from
> > the first line listed to the 2nd line, will it get clobbered at some
> > point during a system update from apt-get?
>
> [snip]
>
> Sorry I can't help with all your questions, but I can say that if you
> change the /etc/init.d/nis script, it will not get automatically clobbered
> when you upgrade.  The package install script should ask you what you want
> to do, with the default option to keep your existing file.

That, in itself is a big help.

I also just found something helpful.  In a lot of howto's, they said to remove
"compat" from /etc/nsswitch.conf, but I just found one that told me to put it
in.  (And, no, it wasn't 5 years old!)  I'll be trying that, along with nscd
(I found that mentioned this morning) to see what happens.

Knowing I can count on the /etc/init.d/nis script without it being clobbered
when I'm not looking is very helpful, too.

Hal