Re: Gnome vs. X keyboard settings

Hanspeter Kunz <hkunz <at> ailab.ch> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:25 -0300, Maxi Combina wrote:
> > and, btw, why doesn't gnome listen to the configuration in XF86Config-4?

To me it makes sense to allow Gnome to override XF86Config-4 so that each user
can set his own keyboard preferences.

> I see. Then the easiest is may be to just move
> ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard
> out of the way.
> This is where gnome stores the keyboard configuration. So if it is
> absent, I would guess that gnome will use the settings from X.
> I never tried it, so I'm not sure if it works.
> Also, you should maybe shutdown gconf before you do this (gconftool-2
> --shutdown).
>
> Let me know if it worked.

Thanks Hanspeter, that worked for me.  As you suggested, I renamed
~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard and the annoying message went away.

Now instead of setting ctrl:nocaps in XF86Config-4, I just set it in Gnome
using Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Keyboard.

Best,

John