Re: Shadow and NIS

On Monday 28 February 2005 09:50, Hal Vaughan wrote:
[snip]
> /usr/sbin/rpc.yppasswdd -D /etc -e chsh
>
> But in a howto (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/ypserv.html), it says
> to start rpc.yppasswdd with:
>
> rpc.yppasswdd -s /etc/yp/shadow -p /etc/yp/passwd -e chsh
>
> So here's my main concern: If I change the line in /etc/init.d/nis from
> the first line listed to the 2nd line, will it get clobbered at some
> point during a system update from apt-get?
[snip]

Sorry I can't help with all your questions, but I can say that if you change
the /etc/init.d/nis script, it will not get automatically clobbered when
you upgrade.  The package install script should ask you what you want to
do, with the default option to keep your existing file.

Justin Guerin