Re: X menus won't run xterm pgms

Jan C. Nordholz(jckn@gmx.net) is reported to have said:
> > Hi Jan
> >
> >   I had already found the problem when you mail came in ie:
> >   update-alternatives.  Thanks for the tip though as it will go into
> >   the toolbox for the 'next' time.
> >
> >   Just tried it wuth your 'strace -f -eexecve PID' but for some reason
> >   the PID's I tried only return 'strace: 11759 command not found'.
> >
> >   Looks like I have a bit more studying to do.
> >
> >   Wayne
>
> Hi Wayne,
>
> ah, mea culpa. ;) The proper syntax would have been
>
> strace -f -eexecve -pPID
>
> ( -f : also trace newly-created child processes
>   -e : print only calls to this kernel function
>   -p : attach to process with id PID instead of executing
>        the last argument given to strace )
>
> Sorry!
>
> Jan

No mea culpa.  I read the man page after I wrote to you and did
attach a trace.  That would have been a much faster way to
troubleshoot the problem.  I should know better.  I preach RTFM all
the time!!!

Thanks Jan, its been too long since I used strace and I should know
better then to rely on my 66 year old brain.  It getting quite cloudly
lately.

Many thanks and Best Regards

Wayne
--
The fortune program is supported, in part, by user contributions and by
a major grant from the National Endowment for the Inanities.