Re: X menus won't run xterm pgms

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 05:32:40PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Bill Marcum(bmarcum@iglou.com) is reported to have said:
> > On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:51:09PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> > > Afternoon all.
> > >
> > >   I have just discovered a problem with my X menus.  It seems that any
> > > program that requires an xterm, won't run.  I searched the archives
> > > but could not find any other reference to this.
> > >
> > >   A search on google anly brought up something called
> > > 'sensisable-xtermumu' which seems to deal with different locales but
> > > doesn't seem like what I am seeing.  The BTS was also of no help.
> > >
> > >   I 'thought' the old /usr/lib/menu system used something like 'needs
> > > xterm' but that seems to have changed.  I see no references to that in
> > > any of the files that require xterm.  Instead I see
> > > 'x-terminal-emulator'  called out in the makers menus, but it doesn't
> > > bring up the programs (mutt, telnet, mc, iptraf, etc).
> > >
> > >   I can, from an xterm, execute /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> > > and it does bring up an xterm (uxterm) but clicking on the menu does not.
> > >
> > Is /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator?
>
> Yes
> ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> lrwxrwxrwx /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> and
> ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> lrwxr-xr-x /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator -> /usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm
>
> But note the permission change.  Humm....  More to try.
>
> Thanks Bill.
>
> Wayne

Hi Wayne,

you could attach an strace to your running window manager and see where
the exec() chain is failing... try (you have to look up the process ID
of your WM with "ps ax" first):

strace -f -eexecve <WM pid>

and then, once successfully attached, play with your menu entries and
post the output here. Perhaps the call to /usr/bin/locale is failing
or producing funny output...

Regards,

Jan
--