Re: X menus won't run xterm pgms

Jan C. Nordholz(jckn@gmx.net) is reported to have said:
> > > Is /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator a symbolic link to /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator?
> >
> > Yes
> > ls -l /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator
> > lrwxrwxrwx /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -> /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> > and
> > ls -l /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator
> > lrwxr-xr-x /etc/alternatives/x-terminal-emulator -> /usr/X11R6/bin/uxterm
> >
> > But note the permission change.  Humm....  More to try.
> >
> > Thanks Bill.
> >
> > Wayne
>
> Hi Wayne,
>
> you could attach an strace to your running window manager and see where
> the exec() chain is failing... try (you have to look up the process ID
> of your WM with "ps ax" first):
>
> strace -f -eexecve <WM pid>
>
> and then, once successfully attached, play with your menu entries and
> post the output here. Perhaps the call to /usr/bin/locale is failing
> or producing funny output...

Hi Jan

  I had already found the problem when you mail came in ie:
  update-alternatives.  Thanks for the tip though as it will go into
  the toolbox for the 'next' time.

  Just tried it wuth your 'strace -f -eexecve PID' but for some reason
  the PID's I tried only return 'strace: 11759 command not found'.

  Looks like I have a bit more studying to do.

  Wayne
--
One good reason why computers can do more work than people is that they
never have to stop and answer the phone.