Re: Re: ide drive /dev/hda does not mount after SCSI /dev/sda duringboot

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 13:15 -0800, Gordon Jackson wrote:

> is it possible that this is a bug in the ‘udev’ implementation? Or
> perhaps the Debian installer?

That's cool -- you're having exactly the same problem I was. hda1
doesn't mount because after udev gets through setting up /dev, hda no
longer exists.

I fixed it here by disabling udev -- it isn't at all necessary. I did
that by editing /etc/init.c/udev and adding the line "return" (should
have been "exit 0") at the top of the script (to verify that it was
indeed udev with the problem), then disabling it as a boot script.

> Is there something that I can turn on in order to capture the bootup
> messages? It’d be nice to be able to see what is going on just prior
> to “/dev/hda1: No such File”, however it scrolls off the screen, so I
> have no idea…

Just type "dmesg" -- it's all in there.

I was seeing lots of "discussion" of ide and hda scroll by; then it
didn't exist in /dev or in /sys after the system was up.

> If there is a definitive UDEV HOWTO then, please, point me to it. In
> the mean time, I will commence Googling.

I never did figure out what was happening. If you do, I'd like to hear
about it. And so would the udev maintainers, I suspect. I'm betting that
nobody booting from SCSI and with an hda ever tested it.

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com