cannot remove /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth

For some reason, gdm is now unable to start the X server. I can start it using startx. I've been investigating, and one strange thing is that root cannot stat, view, remove, etc. the file /var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth. Therefore, I can't even fully remove or reinstall the gdm package. This seems wrong. I can't even chmod or chown it as root. Any suggestions?

This is a remote box, so I'd rather find a solution that does not require switching runlevels.