Debian, updates and a working system: regression test

Dear Friends,
I have beem tinkering on and off with Debian at least since 1996 (Buzz, 1.1) :) My use has mainly been on my personal machines be it home system or laptops.

My current incarnation is a Debian sid system on my beloved IBM T40 Thinkpad. What a sweet assortment.

I quite regularly update/upgrade with apt-listbugs giving some warnings from times to times.

So far I never had some major outage striking me.

But here comes the consideration/question.

My system has slightly over 700 packages installed.

Running a roughly weekly upgrade shows 10-20 packages that can be upgraded.

This morning going from memory I remember some alsa stuff, kernel-package, xserver-xfree86, mondo, gimp ...

Now despite what apt-listbugs says it could happen that one of these packages could break something on my system.

Specific to the list I would imagine that I could run the following related battery of tests:

alsa upgraded -> sound works, even after a reboot ?
kernel-package -> see if my splendid make-kpkg shell works aok
xserver -> is the desktop showing; even after a reboot ? (this one is obvious)
mondo -> try a full backup and if a real man also a restore
gimp -> obvious

Sometimes things are less obvious. For instance an hotplug upgrade with a new developers config removed a blacklisted device

If something in samba or cups changes I could suddendly find myself printing ok on network printers but not on the windows shared ones.

So either I run a series of tests each time (hardly feasible) or shen I try something and it does not work I cannot be sure which upgrade of which component (as opposed to my changes to configs) broke the function.

Is there some better way out of this maintenance problem ? Of course I know I could run a "stable" release system but that is not the point I want to make.

Thank you for reading and I hope to get some interesting debate on this.

Bob