Re: Printing: Cups & XPDF

Marc Wilson wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:25:27PM -0600, Sergio Cuéllar Valdés wrote:

I had the same problem, you have to:
# apt-get install cups-pdf
that resolved my problem.

No, you had the opposite problem... cups-pdf turns nomal documents into PDF
files.

And actually does a piss-poor job of it... the least the back-end could do
is mail you the thing rather than expecting to be able to write to your
homedir.

That's probably what I'm trying to avoid.

I suspect one of the problems, and this is a guess, that the typical cups installation uses foomatic which assumes you do not have a PS compatable printer. So I'm doing multiple conversions on my file formats. But I can't tell. Every time I try to figure out how printers work on Linux I get a really bad headache.

Maybe I should be asking a different question:
What's the best way of doing a printer configuration when you have a cups server running on a stand alone box and have two printers connected to it. One being an HP color printer (non postscript) and the other being a Kyocera laser printer (postscript). They are both connected via USB (which may in itself be another potential problem, but seems resolved in kernel 2.6.10).