Re: Printing: Cups & XPDF

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 11:57:26AM -0500, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:
> 'lpr'  It's baked into the xpdf button, but that's what it's issuing.
> It hits the cups server.

Ok, that means that xpdf is producing the disaster that it thinks is
Postscript, and sending it to CUPS.  CUPS isn't seeing the PDF directly,
it's seeing the result of 'pdftops | lpr'.

I've seen Postscript produced by xpdf repeatedly crash Postscript printers.
I suppose it could do the same thing to Ghostscript (what CUPS is using
internally to render PS files).

CUPS uses pdftops from xpdf-utils to render a PDF file into Postscript,
so sending the PDF directly to CUPS is no test.

Try this:

$ pdf2ps nameofpdffile | lpr

That uses Ghostscript to render the PDF to Postscript.  Does it print now?
I found that using Gnostscript to render the PDF worked so much better (and
produced smaller, faster printing Postscript), that I removed pdftotext
from /etc/cups/mime.convs and substituted a shell script I wrote to use
pdf2ps.

Looks to me like #295685 is a related problem.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Census Taker to Housewife: Did you ever have the
 msw@cox.net |     measles, and, if so, how many?