Re: CUPS doesn't see USB printer after being offline 2 weeks

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> > Hmm... I have to retify my comment, then.  Please s/calling a CUPS
> > program/calling a SysV printing adinistration command/ on my coments above.
> > I apologise to the CUPS crew for blaming on them SysV braindamage.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why do you consider this a 'braindamage'?  You define

Because such a complete lack of foreseeing as to name a system-wide command
"enable" can not be anything but.

lpenable would have been fine, for example.  This is the same problem I have
with Cyrus' usage of "reconstruct", which I renamed to cyrreconstruct.  One
should NOT use such generic names on anything that is not just as generic
(ie. they should not be used).  It is asking for trouble.   It was a bad
idea back then, it is a far worse idea now that the world is quite larger
:-)

> a printer using lpadmin, you 'enable' it and you make it 'accept'
> requests. Of course, you can also 'disable' it and make it 'reject'

It is certainly not a problem if "enable", "disable", etc are commands
issued from within lpadmin.  But having them as /usr/bin commands IS a very
bad idea IMO.

> Or maybe they should be 'enbl', 'dsbl', 'accpt' and 'rjct' ? :-)

That would be just as hideous, I'm afraid :-)

  Henrique Holschuh