Re: Failover

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Tom Brown wrote:

> On Monday 21 February 2005 11:57, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> > Has anyone set up failover scripts on a debian box?
> >
> > I'm looking at linux-ha.org and in particular
> > http://failover.othello.ch/ but there is no debian specific package.
> > Of course, there is a source package, but I would be surprised if no
> > one in the debian community has looked into this before.
> >
> > Let me explain what I want to do.
> > We want to have a failover mail server.
> > As I understand it should be fairly easy to do the following:
> > 1. Have the primary server rsync over any new info to the failover
> > server immediately.

if the primary server died ... how can you rsync anything ?? it's dead
and you're s.o.l.

for mail server failover ...

	use MX records ... it does it all automatically

	just be sure that each mail server is configured with
	the same antispam/antivirus/other-ids stuff

	if you want to copy/rsync  mail1:/var/spool/mail/users onto
	backup-server:/var/spool/mail,  than that backup-server
	should be updated each time an incoming email is received
	which is trivial to do ..  it's lot trickier to delete
	the emails that have been read, since the pop daemon
	may or may not be part of the mta ..

for mail pop server .. ( for people that used netscape/ie/mozilla/etc )

	you can use 2 or more pop servers that looks like 1 server
	but the bottom line is that each pop server will have to
	sooner or later go to ONE place in the database of pending
	emails to say that email#12002 has already been read/pop'd

	( it still has a single point of failure -- the database )

	if you use pop1 for   engineering
	and use pop2 for finanance
	and use pop1000  for everybody else, than some folks will
	be offline, when pop1 dies, but they can use pop2 to
	get their emails

	- there is NO single point of failure

ha and rsync and network backups is an overkill and creates lots
of extra work ...
	- what is the loss of productivity if the mail server goes down ?
	- what is the loss of productivity if the pop server goes down ?

	- what is the loss of productivity when the "mail system" doesnt
	work right for sending/receiving emails and pop servers and
	duplicate messages and antispam/antivirus filters on each server

=== once the primary server dies .... you CANNOT rsync anything anymore ..
    it's dead, but than again is it dead because the network cable got
    pulled or is it dead because the disk died or dead because exim died

lots of fun stuff

c ya
alvin