Re: Openoffice & external links to graphics.

On Monday 21 Feb 2005 14:45, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (21/02/05 14:19), James Cummings wrote:
> > Openoffice saves it as Foo.rtf and Foo.png with a file:// link in it
> > that specifies my home directory, etc.
> >
> > Is there a way to make Openoffice embed the graphics in the file (i.e.
> > keep it as it *was*) rather than split them up into multiple files.
> >
> > This is *extremely* inconvenient since colleagues are all using Word
> > and whatnot.
>
> I share word docs with MS users without a problem but have set
> MSWord 97/2000/XP as default in Options> Load/Save/General.  I suspect
> it is the use of rtf which is causing the problem (Rich Text Format -
> not graphics, /<he said in ignorance>).

Yup, agreed.  The OOo developers would tell you to use .doc format instead
of .rtf as you will get much better compatibility between OOo and Word for
two reasons.  First,  the .rtf spec isn't as open or well defined as rumour
has it, and second, because OOo has had much more development effort put
into .doc compatibility than the .rtf support.

Chris