Re: CUPS doesn't see USB printer after being offline 2 weeks

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:30:48PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > hpotter:/home/daddy# enable "Epson_R300"
> > bash: enable: Epson_R300: not a shell builtin
>
> Well, the !@#$$#@ that had the brilliant idea of calling a CUPS program
> "enable" is to blame for this.   IMHO the CUPS maintainer should have
> overriden the idioticity(sp?) and renamed it to "cups_enable" or something
> like that.
>
> Anyway, run /usr/bin/enable <printername> instead.  That will avoid the
> colision with the bash builtin (which, for some reason, doesn't happen
> here).

Done.  And now I can print from Firefox, etc (though Gimp has lost its
print function... ??  Different story, I think, involving gimpprint.).

I am still unable to access anything under CUPS from the Web interface
despite your previous suggestions.  The cupsd.conf file is virtually
identical to the distribution file except for LAN settings for other
machines.  This is what I have been using all along.  A print of the
options is at the end, if that helps.

One thought I have had is whether some other process is interfering.
Specifically, is there any PAM module which might be screwed up, or
something similar?  I'm not a geek, simply hobbyist from this
perspective, and don't know what else may be involved, but have read
about those being an issue in other problems before.

Kenward

------
daddy:~# grep -v ^# /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | uniq

ServerName hpotter.vaughan.home

DefaultCharset notused

LogLevel info

Printcap /var/run/cups/printcap

Port 631

BrowseAddress @LOCAL

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From @LOCAL
</Location>

<Location /jobs>

</Location>

<Location /admin>

AuthType Basic
AuthClass System

Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1

</Location>
------

--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,