CUPS doesn't see USB printer after being offline 2 weeks

Hi,

I have an Epson R300 printer which had been working with no problems
since its installation at Christmas, but leaving it offline for the
last two weeks or so suddenly has made it show up as "not ready" to
CUPS.  I have not had problems before from turning the printer off, and
there is no indication that the USB modules have any problems with it.
The following is what happens when the printer is powered down, then
back up, and an 'lsusb' and /dev/usb check following that...

------
hpotter:/home/daddy#
hpotter:/home/daddy# usb 1-6: USB disconnect, address 5
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed

hpotter:/home/daddy# usb 1-6: new high speed USB device using address 6
  Vendor: EPSON     Model: Stylus Storage    Rev: 1.00
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi4, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 6 if 1
alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0803

hpotter:/home/daddy# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c00e Logitech, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 04b8:0803 Seiko Epson Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

hpotter:/home/daddy# ls -l /dev/usb/lp0
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 0 2005-01-09 12:38 /dev/usb/lp0
hpotter:/home/daddy#
------

Boot up shows nothing different.

There are no errors in the CUPS log, nor anything in any other logfile
either.  I cannot get a file to print from the command line.  lpq gives
the message that the printer is not ready.

Under X, the CUPS manager (localhost:631) shows the error message
	"Unable to open USB device "usb:/dev/usb/lp0": No such device"

Under my kernel configuration being used, I have the following for USB:

------
hpotter:/home/daddy# grep USB /boot/config-2.6.7 |grep -v ^#
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y

hpotter:/home/daddy#
------

I really don't know where else to look for clues.  Googling gave a few
similar pages (based on that one error message) where the one answer I
saw involved one of the above modules which had to be modprobed.  For
me, it's compiled into the kernel.

:(

Can anyone help me with this?

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,