Re: CUPS doesn't see USB printer after being offline 2 weeks

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:04:05PM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh(hmh@debian.org) is reported to have said:
> > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > > hpotter:/home/daddy# enable "Epson_R300"
> > > bash: enable: Epson_R300: not a shell builtin
> >
> > Well, the !@#$$#@ that had the brilliant idea of calling a CUPS program
> > "enable" is to blame for this.   IMHO the CUPS maintainer should have
> > overriden the idioticity(sp?) and renamed it to "cups_enable" or something
> > like that.

Considering the widespread use of bash it is certainly unfortunate that
it is the same as a bash builtin.

> dpkg -S /usr/bin/cupsenable
> cupsys-client: /usr/bin/cupsenable
>
> dpkg -S /usr/bin/enable
> cupsys-client: /usr/bin/enable  (Which only works when run as root)

As noted in /usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz

    Miscellaneous Tips
    [...]

     - You may encounter some problems using the "enable" command under
       bash, as "enable" is a builtin there.  As a workaround, I've
       created the "cupsenable" command, which acts exactly as "enable"
       does.  There are also "cupsdisable", "cupsaccept", and "cupsreject"
       commands for consistency.

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.