Re: ssh/sshd connects but does nothing, putty/sshd works fine

Sven Hoexter wrote:
On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 05:11:58PM +0000, Randy Orrison wrote:

I'm trying to solve a puzzling problem. I can use putty on my WindowsXP notebook at work to connect to my home debian box, or to my debian box at work, and it works fine. When I try to connect from my debian box at work to the box at home, it connects (according to the logs on both sides) but doesn't give me a prompt, and eventually times out. Details:

debian box at work:
 debian 3.0
 kernel: 2.4.18-1-686
 ssh -V: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian 1:3.8.1p1-6.backports.org.1,
             OpenSSL 0.9.6c 21 dec 2001

debian box at home:
 debian 3.1
 kernel: 2.6.10-1-k7
 ssh -V: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4,
             OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004

When I connect from putty, auth.log at home shows:

Feb 21 16:59:53 evo sshd[16697]:
       Connection from 80.46.104.22 port 59507
Feb 21 16:59:54 evo sshd[16697]:
       reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for
       dsl-80-46-104-22.access.uk.tiscali.com failed
       - POSSIBLE BREAKIN ATTEMPT!

Hm get your DNS setup right or set "UseDNS no" in your
sshd_config. That should both solve the problem.
Donno the exact error mesage from the tcp_wrapper so check
/etc/hosts.deny aswell for a line like PARANOID:all or
PARANOID: ssh

There's nothing I can fix in my DNS setup: it's just an ADSL connection, the name that the ISP provides ("dsl-80-46-104-22.access.uk.tiscali.com") doesn't map back to the IP address, but that's not under my control.

"UseDNS no" got rid of the reverse mapping error (thanks!); but the behaviour is still the same.

I don't think the problem is on the server end: PuTTY on the notebook and ssh on the debian box are both coming out of the office through the same firewall; they show up on my home debian box both coming from the same IP address, and give exactly the same sequence of messages in the auth.log on the home box that I'm trying to get into. ssh seems to think it's connecting, it says "Authentication succeeded (publickey)" and "Entering interactive session" but no shell ever appears.

Any other ideas? Any other info I could provide that might be useful? This used to work, though I don't know exactly when it stopped or what could have caused it to stop.

Thanks,

Randy