Re: X-windows will not run on sarge / tried several kernels

Thomas Milo Somers wrote:

For my first Linux install experience, I chose Debian 3.1 (sarge) because I
thought it would be easy for a novice to install and more likely to be
compatible with my hardware, a Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.66GHz BIOS Ver. A07,
purchased about a year ago.
<snip>

/var/log/XFree86.0.log and noticed the following significant warnings and
errors:
WW  Open APM failed.
WW I810(0) Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.
EE I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
EE Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.
and finally:
Fatal Server Error: No screens found.
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

and tinker with color depth, resolution, and perhaps try VESA as your driver.

This may be unrelated, but I have problems with Dell GX270 PCs that we purchased a year or two ago. Seems the BIOS on them misreports the amount of video RAM; Dell finally sent me a beta BIOS patch which solved my problems. Perhaps your BIOS is misconfigured to a small amount of video RAM, or is misreporting what it's configured to.

--
Kent