Re: X-windows will not run on sarge / tried several kernels

In message <3zSBN-7SN-7@gated-at.bofh.it>, Thomas Milo Somers <tmsomers@attglobal.net> writes
Can you direct me somewhere for a solution to allow me to run X-windows on
Debian?  Details below:

For my first Linux install experience, I chose Debian 3.1 (sarge) because I
thought it would be easy for a novice to install and more likely to be
compatible with my hardware, a

Dell Dimension 4600 P4 2.66GHz BIOS Ver. A07,

purchased about a year ago.

Installing from CDs, on the first attempt, I selected the "linux26" install
method and allowed the install program to choose the default

"kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7-smp."

I think I did the config okay, but in the
end, the kernel failed to load.  Thinking the problem might be the kernel,
on the second attempt, I went with the default install method and allowed
the install program to install the default 2.4 kernel.  This also failed to
load.  The third time, I chose install method "expert26" and when the time
came to manually choose the kernel to load, I selected the second line on

the kernel list "kernel-image-2.6.8-2-k7."

Am I missing something, or is there a clue in "P4" and "k7"?
--
Joe