Re: X-windows will not run on sarge / tried several kernels

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 21:53 -0800, Thomas Milo Somers wrote:
> Can you direct me somewhere for a solution to allow me to run X-windows on
> Debian?  Details below:

[snip]

> Nevertheless, I completed the config process.  However, when it came time to
> start X-Windows, it did not start and I got an error screen saying X-Windows
> was probably not configured correctly.  (I don't doubt it!)
>
> Finding myself back at the command line, I reviewed the log file
> /var/log/XFree86.0.log and noticed the following significant warnings and
> errors:
> WW  Open APM failed.
> WW I810(0) Extended BIOS function 0x5f11 not supported.
> EE I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
> EE Screens found, but none have a usable configuration.
> and finally:
> Fatal Server Error: No screens found.
>
> At this point, I followed someone's suggestion to try yet another kernel.  I
> chose kernel-2.6.8-2-386.    That kernel loaded okay and so I attempted the

We'd need to see your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Look for these lines:
  Section "Screen"
  DefaultDepth

And then a SubSection "Display" that matches the DefaultDepth.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my
first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an
ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny."
Jack Handey