Re: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet card not detected

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 09:10:54PM -0800, William Hoblitzell wrote:

> I am completely new to Linux and this is my first install, so please be patient with my idiocy as I have no idea in heck what I am doing.
>
> I have a quick side question with this issue I'm having from the net install versions of 'woody' and 'sarge' not detecting my Marvell Yukon GigE.  If I use a live CD like Knoppix or even any other to boot, is there any way to switch to Debian midway or afterwards?  Is there even a difference between these versions?

>  Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn more.
Hi William,
to move things along, sometimes folks just try to install the basic OS
first. And then try to work out the kinks latter. Since you will still
have m$, you can set the base install now and then ask more questions
about getting the network card later.
Also here is some background for your problem.
windows has a 'kernel' like linux. windows has drivers that add support
for hardware, linux has 'modules'. one difference is that most actions
in windows requires you to physically reboot after any change. This is
usually unnessary for linux. To add a module to support an installed
piece of hardware requires you to 'load' the kernel modules for it. And
then maybe configure it. the command to show what 'modules' are being
used by the kernel is 'lsmod'. The command to add a 'module' is 'insmod'
or 'modprobe'. these can sometimes need 'options'. The main advantage of
'modprobe' is that it will load the 'dependencies' of the module that
you are installing. at the moment there are 2 kernels to use: 2.4 and
2.6. 2.6 is the cutting edge one that have a host of major features
that support lots of the newer hardware.
cheers,
kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||