KDE, GNOME, too intrusive for me !! Any alternatives ?

Tried GNOME and found it really unappealing. I find Nautilus really poor and especially unusable regarding file associations.

Switched back to KDE and really got annoyed by it's meddling with ACPI, sound and god knows what else (maybe wifi). I like Konqueror (the F4 open a shell here trick and the bookmarks and the capability of handling URLs and the easy file associations), I like K3b but that's about it.

I want a window manager which does only the window manager and then I want to choose the applications I want to do what I want.

In th past I was using WindoMaker and liked it.

In your experience the use of WM (as an example) plus some selected KDE or GNOME applications is feasible ? Or would the prerequisites of such applications also be the libraries that pretend to run all of my PC ?

Hope I have explained myself.

TIA,
Bob Alexander