Re: KDE, GNOME, too intrusive for me !! Any alternatives ?

I use IceWM (http://www.icewm.org or apt-get install icewm) on an IBM
laptop with a P-150 MMX CPU, 80 MB of RAM, and a 2.1 GB hard disk
drive.

I can run Gnome or KDE apps with it.  I, personally, have only run
select Gnome applications so I don't know how painful it is to run KDE
apps.

Like others have mentioned, just pay attention to what the
dependencies are through apt-get or whatever and you should be fine.