Re: KDE, GNOME, too intrusive for me !! Any alternatives ?

I'd like to thank all of you for the good advice and try to summarize the thread's reccomendations and post a final question.

Starting problem. KDE (more) and GNOME (somewhat less) when installed in a pseudo standard way, intrude in my system's functions in a few ways. For example:

a) kacpid wants to handle things that the kernel ACPI already monitors and produces problems. For instance I had an "lid close" event which I handled with an hibernate script. KDE smugly issued a second hibernate without my knowledge and consent

b) The KDE sound system being active at all times interfered with my use of other programs such as XMMS

c) I think there are functions overlapping with the hotplug daemon.

etc. etc.

I know that with knowledge of KDE I could disable all of these (and did so each time I discovered the problem) but I want a window manager which does only that. Manage windows.

That said there are APPLICATIONS under the GNOME or KDE which I find very good (some examples K3b, Konqueror, GRip, GNOME) and would like to use.

If I interpret the thread reccomendation I could just install a windowmanager that supports EWMH (Extended Window Manager Hints) such as FVWM and then install the KDE or GNOME appls I like along with their dependencies.

The thread also seems to conclude that the behaviours I do not desire (let's call them "system management") should not be activated by the simple installation of the KDE/GNOME applications and their prerequisite libraries.

That said the question:

I have a customized machine working near to perfection :) under Debian sid with ACPI sleep, hibernate, sound, wifi, GPRS, accel. X and much more (around 850 packages) running with a KDE desktop.

What is the cleanest way of removing all of that and restaring a clean X/FVWM environment ????

Thank you very much.
Bob