Re: KDE non-installation, then kdm brings up metacity & nautilus

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 11:44:39PM -0500, Mitchell Laks wrote:

> I do the following. I assume all the right stuff is installed. (KDE etc)

Right.  See my reply to another message for all the gory details.

> open up a terminal in gnome. do as root
> update-alternatives --all
> and hit enter to the irrelevant questions
> until it asks you whether you want to start with gnome or kde and then select
> kde. Something like

Wonderful! that did it.

> There are 3 alternatives which provide `x-session-manager'.
> then keep hitting enter until you are done. then exit x and restart x and you
> are in kde.

I actually had to modify 3 items to get back to the old familiar
environment: x-session-manager (was gnome-session, now startkde),
x-window-manager (was metacity, now kwin) and x-terminal-emulator
(was gnome-terminal-wrapper, now konsole).

Shouldn't this have been done automatically in the installation?  Has
no one encountered this?  Am I the only one that has seen this?  I'll
file a bug report if appropriate.

Augustine