Re: KDE non-installation, then kdm brings up metacity & nautilus

How did you install Sarge? I've been using the netboot image from...a few months ago, I think. 2004-11 or something like that. Anyway, I can either manually select packages, or just choose "Desktop environment" and it will install both KDE and GNOME. To use KDE, simply choose KDE as the session before you log in; it should ask you if you want to make that your permanent choice, or just do it this time.

If you're missing the kde package, use Synaptic to install it, and you should be able to use it.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.