Re: KDE non-installation, then kdm brings up metacity & nautilus

On Thursday 10 February 2005 10:48 pm, A. F. Cano wrote:

> I have tried dpkg-reconfugure kdm AND dpkg-reconfigure gdm but still
> the gnome pops up...
>
> So... Is this a known problem? (I didn't see anything related to
> this while searching the bug reports)  Does anyone have a solution
> to bring back KDE under sarge? (updated to the very latest a few minutes
> ago).

I do the following. I assume all the right stuff is installed. (KDE etc)
open up a terminal in gnome. do as root
update-alternatives --all
and hit enter to the irrelevant questions
until it asks you whether you want to start with gnome or kde and then select
kde. Something like

There are 3 alternatives which provide `x-session-manager'.

  Selection    Alternative
      1        /usr/bin/icewm-session
*     2        /usr/bin/startkde
 +    3        /usr/bin/gnome-session

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
and then you enter 2 for instance.

then keep hitting enter until you are done. then exit x and restart x and you
are in kde.

good luck
Mitchell