Re: KDE non-installation, then kdm brings up metacity & nautilus

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:50:42PM -0600, Adam Porter wrote:
> How did you install Sarge?  I've been using the netboot image from...a
> few months ago, I think.  2004-11 or something like that.  Anyway, I can

Ah!  This brings up another problem I've encountered.  I first tried the
netboot image.  After the basic installation, it went to the net and
downloaded all the necessary packages (which took hours).  However, after
going through all the steps, the system was left exactly the same as
before all the downloads: only the packages installed by the netboot
cd were on the HD.  None of the rest had been installed.  I tried again
and again, checking from a different console as the downloads were
going on (and the HD was filling up) only to end up at step one when
the whole process was supposed to have installed everything.
I set http_proxy to point to the machine that's actually on the
internet.  Privoxy on that machine relayed the packets to
http.us.debian.org.  That is the only out-of-the-ordinary feature that
I can think could cause any problem, short of a bug.

Given that, I then downloaded all the ISOs and mounted them via the
loop device on a networked machine and mounted them via nfs.  It was
a royal pain to manually tell the installer about all 14 sources and to
have to mount them all first as loop devices on the remote machine and
then as nfs devices, but I eventually got most of what I wanted
installed.  Still, some things were  missing.  I figured that was to
be expected in the testing version...  The more direct apt options
didn't work either.  I had to make all 14 ISOs look to the installer
as already mounted local disks, and I didn't have enough disk space
for 14 ISOs on the target machine.

> either manually select packages, or just choose "Desktop environment"
> and it will install both KDE and GNOME.  To use KDE, simply choose KDE
> as the session before you log in; it should ask you if you want to make
> that your permanent choice, or just do it this time.

I presume you're  talking about the base-config category?  If so, it was
selected.  I selected everything (every category) in base-config, but
obviously KDE or parts thereof were not installed, as I had to do that
by dselect later on.

> If you're missing the kde package, use Synaptic to install it, and you
> should be able to use it.

Maybe I should use modern tools...  I used base-config for the basic
installation and then dselect as that is what I'm used to.

> Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Thanks for replying, I'll try some of the things you and other posters
have suggested and appraise everyone of the results.

Augustine