Fisher-Price, err, KDE (was Re: (OT) Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday)

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 15:32 -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:01, Nicos Gollan wrote:
>
> > It is bloated, like the rest of KDE is.
>
> I have to disagree.  Featureful: yes.  Bloated: no.
>
> For example, I use KMyMoney to manage my checkbook at home.  One day while I
> was at work, I wanted to check my balance.  On a whim, I loaded KMyMoney
> locally and selected the File -> Open menu.  Then, I entered
> "sftp://myhomeserver/home/me"; and selected "personal.kmy" from the
> resulting display of the files on my home server.  Voila - there was my
> checkbook in all it's miniscule glory.
>
> I like the fact that I can open WebDAV files in Kate exactly like they were
> on my local filesystem.  I think it's spiffy that I can write a letter in
> Kmail and add attachments that physically reside on remote machines,
> accessible through a long list of available protocols, without Kmail having
> to have direct support for each of them.
>
> That's pretty darn cool stuff, and I don't consider it bloated at all.

I'd really like to use KDE again (I used it up until v2.2.1, and
when I moved to Debian, it was broken), and have tested it occasion-
ally, but, *IMO*, it looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price.

Are any of the themes less bright?  To my tastes, the boring blue/
grey and grey GNOME Default Theme and Crux window borders are the
perfect neutral, fade into the background colors that don't get in
the way of the important stuff.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

$ python -c 'print len(str(2**3000000))'
903090