On web page design [WAS: Re: (OT) Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday]

Scott Edwards wrote:
Before I bothered, I just had 10 virtual terminals, and it still
wasn't enough (11 - spare for X, just in case, and 12 for syslog
output).  But yea, developing www pages for the masses, usually
requires you to see how it'll look on their end. =)

Test in Lynx first.  If it looks good there, it will look good
anywhere :-)

Seriously, I find that testing web pages in Lynx/Links/ELinks is
usually a good idea since it gives you a feel for how your page
presents itself when it is just the content (and minimal formatting).
I do it with all my pages with good results.  In fact, my homepage
(linked in my sig) makes use of some nice CSS tricks that look spiffy
in Firefox, but I also make sure that it degrades nicely for browsers
like Dillo, Lynx, and ELinks.  The nice thing is that it is possibe
to do this without checking UserAgent strings or anything like that.
Heck, my page even looks good in Internet Explorer, in spite of my
efforts to the contrary :-)

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez