Re: GNOME is f*cked seven ways from Sunday

on Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 02:25:59AM +0000, Thomas Adam (thomas_adam16@yahoo.com) wrote:
>  --- "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> wrote:
> > Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > Every once in a while, you just run into something you need to get off
> > > your chest.  So I bring to you:
> >
> > Wow.  All I can say is that I am glad WindowMaker is what I use.
>
> I don't use GNOME, but I do use GTK apps.  Now, some designers of GTK apps
> that aren't skr1p7 k1dd13s actually realise that GTK != GNOME, and hence
> design their programs independant of that bloated piece of crap we'll call
> GNOME.  A pity, then, that the GNOME designers do not realise this.  But
> that's another debate entirely.

Don't get me wrong:  I like the Gtk widget set, in general.

What I've noticed as well is that a number of key Gtk apps (most notably
The GIMP) have pretty much broken with GNOME proper.  They use toolkits,
as they see fit.  But aren't held hostage.

> Despite this, I have found that running GTK apps outside of GNOME has
> been more successful than any of the (limiting) QT ones I might need
> from KDE.  Now almost all of the QT-based apps I use, need half of KDE
> to reside in memory before it even thinks about loading.  Good, eh?
> :)

What I've seen is that some KDE apps (I use knode principally) draw in a
number of dependencies.  But what they _don't_ do is mess with the
existing desktop environment.  Nor, for the most part, do they require
you go go digging through obscure desktop-specific configuration
utilities to query/change settings.

> But Nautilus is core to GNOME, and is a very bloated file manager.  Almost
> akin to the abomination KDE call konqueror.

Konq is IMO far better scoped.

Sure:  it does more than just browse files, or surf the web.  I see it
as "information portal" rather than "file manager" or "web browser".  If
what I want to do is view / hear content, whether it's local to my
filesystem, remote on a Website, or in the help system(s), Konq will get
you there.

What it _doesn't_ do is clobber your desktop with a bunch of stuff.

So while it's not exactly lightweight, it _is_ appropriate to the task
at hand.

> If it is that much of a nuisance, which I believe it is, I'd consider
> using another file manager, such as:  dfm, rox, emelfm, gentoo, moxfm,
> whatever.  It doesn't solve _any_ of your issues, Karsten, but it might
> keep your blood-pressure down somewhat.  :)

Your concern is appreciated ;-)

Peace.

    18.8% of all browsers that claim to be MSIE, aren't.
    - http://www.virtuelvis.com/archives/35.html