Re: IMAP server settings [WAS: Re: stupid question about setting my debian system and email]

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

Mine is the only account, so I can't provide anymore information there.
Thunderbird is the only one.  I have successfully used GNUMail.app and
Horde and IMP (webmail application running on the server) and neither
has a problem saving sent mail.

I have done lots of searching on this particular topic.  All of the
advice that I have seen relates to lowering the number of connections
that Thunderbird asks for.  Since that did not work in my case, I
thought the cause could be server related.

I am anxious for Sarge to go stable since it has cyrus21, which
will hopefully be easier to work with.  (The older version of
cyrus in Woody was a royal pain as it is out of date and there
is almost no documentation for it on the web.)

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~sanchezr

Sorry you got misdirected. The Thunderbird connection limit appears to be limited to Courier-IMAP as it enforces a limit in connections per IP as a DOS defence. Have you looked through the bugs at Mozilla.org? (It can be a chore between duplicates and odd descriptions) Are you also running an older version of Thunderbird? If so, you should upgrade to the 1.0 release. Thunderbird v.old & Cyrus v.very_old has a good chance of very weird anomalies.

I understand your pain on the aging infrastructure of Woody. We moved our email infrastructure off Debian - made the decision our servers we were going to stay on a 'supported/stable' platform and with the increased risks from viruses & spam couldn't keep email that far in the past. (Yes we know that Debian 'testing' is 'more stable' than many other distros, but it is 'testing' & I'm not signing up for an unknown update treadmill in production)

Dave