Re: eth0: woes

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Allen Fensome wrote:

Hey thanks for the quick responses.

/sbin/depmod -a gives a whole load statements like this: *** Unresolved
symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.27-1-386/kernel/net/{lots of different stuff
here}

/sbin/modprobe 8139too  gives me 3 insmod failed errors. For
__netdev_watchdog_up_R7d3cbbe7,  mii.o and 8139too.

It sounds to me as if there has been a kernel update at some point (as you mentioned the box was running for a few months) and this is the first time you've booted into it. Do you roll your own kernels?

Do you have any known working kernels you can boot into?

The nic does, however, still seem to be listed in  /proc/iomem

You'd expect that even if a drive is not loaded.

Further suggestions?  Should I assume that there is a problem with the kernel
modules supporting the nic?

Drop back to a known working kernel and consider building a new one which does not have these dependency errors. If you are using Debian kernels you hopefully would not see dependency errors. I've always rolled my own vanilla kernels (from 1.0 to 2.4) but with recent revelations about security problems with vanilla 2.6 kernels I'll be building only from distro supplied kernel until the situation improves.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.