eth0: woes

Hi.

I have just restarted my sarge server for the first time in several months and
now the eth0: inteface is dead.  (I have, during the intervening months,
regularly updated with aptitude).

It's an RTL8201BL built into an Elitegroup L4S8A2 mainboard.

The /etc/network/interaces stuff still looks as I would expect.  Also, if I
try to manually configure the interface with something along the lines of

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

I get errors such as these....

SIOCSIFADDR: no such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

which leads me to believe that this is a low level hardware problem.

Any suggestions?  I'm relatively new to debian (more experience with Gentoo)
and I'm a bit lost as to where to look next.