Re: Debian Kindergarten List (was: Debian List for Idiot Debian Users - seriously).

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:51:25AM -0800, Raquel Rice wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 03:03:15 -0500
> Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> wrote:
>
> > As to the temperment of
> > responces, it varies by person, by day, by caffine level x-).
> > People are people. Some non-newbies get occasionally huffy after
> > reading the 1000th'how can I read a M$ word doc' and wisk off a
> > RTFM response or the ever popular like to ESR's smart faq page.
>
> Yes, people are people, which means there are people who get tired
> of the "I'm so smart and I'm going to prove, every chance I get, how
> smart I am by pointing out how stupid you are" attitude.
>
> Have you ever taken a look at how many women contribute to this list
> more than a couple of times?  The low number isn't because there
> aren't women who use Linux.  Many of us use it on a professional
> level and on a personal level.

Hi Raquel,
there is recent thread on debian-devel about this. Some of the women
debian developers (and a few men) asked why even their lists are
testosterone-laden and dont have a nice civil curteous tone. I would
ponder that geek domains have been dominated by men for eons and their
'mars' communication style (see john grey's "men are from mars...").
This hopefully is changing with the inclusion of those brave few(like
yourself). Like any 'culture', it has long standing traditions and is
averse to 'outsiders' or change. But most of debian's ML's are
unmoderated, so there is no one being a list moderator. It is in our
hands to point out bad behavior.
I think that was why the 'debian-women' list was created.

> Although not Debian specific, there are Linux lists where "RTFM",
> and the attitudes which go along with it, are not the "norm" and are
> even not allowed.  Yet, the people who answer questions are not "the
> blind leading the blind" as suggested.
>
> I know I'll get flamed for this response, but maybe it's time to
> grow up, boys.

if someone says rtfm, it has no bearing on their ability to answer a
question. Its out of frustration of the person asking the question not
having done the proper research ahead of time. But that assume that the
person was simply lazy and did not want to do reseach using methods they
knew about. This is not the case most of the time.
a simple response asking what material they read and what error messages
they get is more helpful.
-Kev
--
counter.li.org #238656 -- goto counter.li.org and be counted!

        (__)
        (oo)
  /------\/
 / |    ||