Re: Debian Kindergarten List (was: Debian List for Idiot Debian Users - seriously).

Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:

From:	"Paul Johnson" <baloo@ursine.ca>

On Thursday 03 February 2005 10:00 am, Mr. Jan
Hearthstone wrote:
There should be a Debian for idiots by idiots list;

Why do you think such a list would work?  Do you
honestly think that there's going to be people with the knowledge
willing to camp out, for free, answering the same questions already answered
and archived 20 bajillion places?

For that matter, why are you asking this obvious
question, when it's been answered several times over and archived
everywhere?
I googled extensively - yes there are many answers
out there, yet (as I said before) none of them worked
for me ....

I believe you misunderstand what Paul is saying. He's saying two things:

1) Most newbie questions are already answered in the archives, on Google, etc. (Granted, your particular question was not.) Folks with the knowledge to answer questions are more likely to stay on this list without becoming a part of a newbie list.

2) Paul's reference to this "obvious question" is not about your question concerning your boot floppies, but about having a newbie list. This question about a newbie list comes up quite often, and the general consensus is that it sounds great at first mention, but that when the pros and cons are actually considered, the idea is found wanting. It is this information that is "archived everywhere".

Having said that, I will add that Paul runs cold and hot; one post he is considerate and long-suffering; the next he is mostly insufferable. But he's always smart. If he ever learns the concept of "a gentle answer turns away wrath", he's going to be a great representative of the Debian community. As it is, he's a knowledgeable and smart and mostly helpful rep.

Now, having discussed Paul, I'll now turn to your question about having a Debian List for Idiot Debian Users. Having been on this list for several years now, I've seen both pros and cons to this idea, and like Paul, now side with the idea that an official such list would not be worth the trouble. I don't consider myself a Debian expert, but still, I for one would not join such a list, and I expect most of the long-timers on this list also would not. The result would be that you'd have the blind leading the blind. Friendly blind folks maybe, who can empathize with your troubles, but not so much helpful blind folks. Perhaps I'm wrong, and such a list really would be a great thing, but I just don't see it.

--
Kent