Re: Debian Rescue Floppy

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 07:48:03PM -0800, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
>    I do have hda1 on my hard drive where all my files
> are; the message was that a kernel image "root=/de.v

Okay, it's been a *long* time since I booted a floppy (especially since
many computers do not even have floppy drives anymore), but if I recall
correctly, the boot floppy gives you a prompt and asks to to press
return or to type your own special boot commands (is this correct?).

It *might* even indicate press F1, F2, etc for help information? (Do
this if you haven't read them.)

> (sic!)" could not be found (the command was
> "root=/dev/hda1").

I think what is happening here is that at the prompt you are entering:
	root=/dev/hda1

What the boot floppy is expecting is a <kernel name> optionally followed
by kernel boot parameters.  I believe the default kernel is "linux" and
you can even type "dir" or maybe "ls" to see what files there are.

So if I'm remembering this all correctly, you want to type:

	linux root=/dev/hda1

BTW this is common to most/all of the boot methods, CD, lilo, grub
(although devices are named differently with grub).

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.