USB hotplug failures

I have the hotplug package installed under kernel 2.6.9, but my Sarge
system doesn't seem to handle USB disconnections well. For example, if I
attach a pen drive, use it, unmount it, and then remove it, the system
will typically lock up shortly thereafter.

Even when it doesn't lock up, reattaching the device does no good; it
never reappears on the system again. I almost always have to reboot
after using any temporary USB peripheral, and it's annoying.

Has anyone else had similar problems? More importantly, has anyone fixed
it, or know of a good way to debug the issue further?

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/