Re: cron-apt and security

Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 10:08:27PM +0000, jim biri wrote:

I use to do automatic update's, but _not_ automatic upgrades - doing
what I do isn't a security risk is it?

Any automated system is a security risk. That's the wrong question; the
right question is "are the risks worth it *to you*?"

Automatic upgrades work fine for me, but then I'm willing to accept the
risk that something might get hosed. It's never happened, but it could.
Backups, hashes/signatures, and a good disaster recovery plan are your
friends. :)

I use automatic updates, then use `apt-get -d upgrade` so it at least
downloads the packages for me, and I can install them fairly quickly
when I next get the chance.