Re: Problem with ATI Radeon 9200 - (EE) No devices detected.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:21:45 -0800 (PST), Sweet NJGuy
<sweetnjguy29@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the XFree 4.1 drivers in .rpm format to
> my WinXP system.  I apt-get'ed the 'alien' package
> onto my other linux PC.  Then I realized, I have no
> idea what to do next!
>
> How should I burn the CD-R?  How do I mount the CD
> once I put it into the Linux computer's CD drive? (I
> tried but failed at the command prompt doing this).
> Once its mounted, what should I type into 'alien' to
> properly convert and install it?  I need some hand
> holding here, because I haven't been able to find the
> answers on my own.  Thanks for your help in advance!

[rebouncing this to the list]
You burn the CD-R as you would any normal data CD in windows. Then you
take it to your linux computer. Now the thing is, you can probably do
"mount /cdrom". The mount manpage has a lot of info about it, but it
can be hard to understand for a beginner so basically it's something
like this:
mount <device> <dir>
This will mount the given device to the dir. Now the device should be
something like /dev/hdx where the x is either a,b,c or d. Usually hda
is your hard disk (first device on the first controller). And hdc is
your cdrom (first device on the second controller). Then you can do:
mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
Make sure that the directory /cdrom exists. If that is not the right
one, try hdb and hdd first.

Once this works just run alien on the file like this:
alien <filename>
so from your root dir:
alien /cdrom/*.rpm
I'm not sure if this will use your root dir as its working directory.
If it tries to land the generated file in /cdrom it will obviously not
work and you'll have to copy the file over first. (with mv).

After that just use dpkg to install it:
dpkg --force-all -i *.deb
that will install it and ignore any dependencies (which is
unfortunate). Then, as the readme says just run fglrxconfig.

Anyway a lot of this might be easier if you just look up a linux
beginners howto and read that. For instance at http://www.tldp.org

greets,
Wim