IDE Disk Controllers: Natively supported / detecting them ....

Hi,

I'd like to buy an ATA IDE disk controller card that is natively
supported by the kernel in Den b2.4. How can I find out what is
natively supported?

Thanks to posts on the newsgroup (which have been very helpful),
apparently a card with a Promise chipset aka Maxtor chipset is
supported - but how do you know? More importantly - how can you find
out before buying one?

Also - once you've got such a card that *is* supported, do you just
plug it in? How do you tell Deb to recognise it? Are there some
commands that should be run? Once it "sees" the card,  will it
automatically see any IDE drives connected to it?

So - here's a Promise card: Promise Ultra ATA-133 TX2
http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/controllersandiocards/productView.htm?quicklinx=14Q0

Is this any good? Is this natively supported?
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, Jim.