[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: gnome-cups-icon (print notfication icon)



On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 06:03 -0500, utanja wrote:
> thank you so much for your reply.....
> 
> switch to gnome...i mean start gnome from console....(startx loads gnome
> automatically)...i boot directly to console...not to gui...
> i am working in root for your request to avoid permissions problems if
> any.....

is the following the output from one of the machines, where
gnome-cups-icon doesn't work? 
In any case, looks fine.

> term6:~# dpkg -l cups* gnome-cups-manager
> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> un  cups           <none>         (no description available)
> un  cups-pdf       <none>         (no description available)
> un  cupsomatic-ppd <none>         (no description available)
> ii  cupsys         1.1.23-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
> ii  cupsys-bsd     1.1.23-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD
> comman
> ii  cupsys-client  1.1.23-3       Common UNIX Printing System(tm) -
> client pro
> ii  cupsys-driver- 4.2.7-4        Gimp-Print printer drivers for CUPS
> ii  cupsys-driver- 4.2.7-4        Gimp-Print printer drivers for CUPS
> un  cupsys-pstoras <none>         (no description available)
> ii  cupsys-pt      1.2.4-3        Tool for viewing/managing print jobs
> under C
> ii  gnome-cups-man 0.25-2         CUPS printer admin tool for GNOME
> 
> now dpkg -l output from gnome-panel*term6:~# dpkg -l gnome-panel*
> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  gnome-panel    2.8.2-1        Launcher and docking facility for GNOME 2
> ii  gnome-panel-da 2.8.2-1        Common files for GNOME 2 panel
> un  gnome-panel-da <none>         (no description available)
> un  gnome-panel2   <none>         (no description available)
> 
> 
> term6:~# dpkg -l gnome-panel*
> Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
> uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  gnome-panel    2.8.2-1        Launcher and docking facility for GNOME 2
> ii  gnome-panel-da 2.8.2-1        Common files for GNOME 2 panel
> un  gnome-panel-da <none>         (no description available)
> un  gnome-panel2   <none>         (no description available)
> 
> 
> finally...here is the output log while printing...
> Jan 31 05:58:07 term6 kernel: lp0: ECP mode
> Jan 31 05:58:17 term6 kernel: DMA write timed out

hm, unfortunately I'm sure here to look next.

It seems like gnome-cups-icon works as it should but gnome cannot detect
changes in the spool directories. Do you have fam and/or gamin
installed? 
(although I do not now if this is really needed by gnome-cups-icon, but
you will one of these packages anyway)

Please try to figure out what could be the differences between the
machines where it works compared to the ones where is doesn't.

For example you could compare the output of dpgk --get-selections

cheers,
Hp.
-- 
Hanspeter Kunz                  Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
Ph.D. Student                   Department of Information Technology
Email: hkunz@ailab.ch           University of Zurich
Tel: +41.(0)44.63-54306         Andreasstrasse 15, Office 2.12
http://ailab.ch/people/hkunz    CH-8050 Zurich, Switzerland

Spamtraps: hkunz.bogus@ailab.ch hkunz.bogus@ifi.unizh.ch
---
If anything can go wrong, it will.

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: This is a digitally signed message part


Reply to: