Re: Replacing NFS with Samba

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

I've been having some major problems with a couple workstations on my network. They are setup to mount the home directory tree from an NFS server. The problem is, for some reason, the network connection gets interrupted periodically for a moment. I'm still investigating the physical connections - but every time it happens, the X-Windows session locks up. I was hoping Samba would provide a more fault-tolerant environment.

The problem you are seeing with nfs is probably because you are "hard mounting" instead of "soft mounting". See the man page for nfs.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.