Re: dual boot

Kent West wrote:
Joe Costantini wrote:

Can you help?
I have a Dell Precision 420 with SCSI drive. I have win2000 server installed. Added an ATA drive and installed Debian Sarge on it. Can boot linux from floppy. Setup NTLDR to dual boot win2000 or Linux. When I select Linux, I get "L 01 01 01".

Your Master Boot Record has a partial install of LILO in it, and you're trying to use NT's boot loader.

Choose between one of the other, and then boot into that loader's OS and rerun the loader's installer ("/bin/lilo" in the case of lilo, "Repair MBR" or something similar in the case of W2K).

If you use window's boot loader you still need to chain load a linux boot loader[which is installed on the root partion instead of the MBR] to boot linux, and I think the opposite is true but not sure about the mechanics. In my experience it is easier to set up lilo in the MBR than to try to mess around with Window's boot loader.