Re: Replacing NFS with Samba

Tom Allison wrote:

Daniel L. Miller wrote:

Can I replace NFS sharing with a Samba server - and still provide the same user rights?

--
Daniel

Why would you do that unless it was only for the purpose of supporting Windows?

There are authentication models for Samba.

I've been having some major problems with a couple workstations on my network. They are setup to mount the home directory tree from an NFS server. The problem is, for some reason, the network connection gets interrupted periodically for a moment. I'm still investigating the physical connections - but every time it happens, the X-Windows session locks up. I was hoping Samba would provide a more fault-tolerant environment.

Daniel